Monday, November 06, 2006

Fucking Sphynx

I dropped off my cousin at her condo near Sunway Pyramid yesterday, and as I passed by the mall, I was wondering to myself how the architects managed to convince the investors to part with their money.

"So, it's going to be Egyptian. And we're going to have a car park in between the mall and the theme park, and just to add suspense, we're not going to give clear directions on just how the fuck you're supposed to get there. And it's going to be poorly maintained and people have to walk for miles before they even get to any of the attractions, so they end up buying lots of ice cream and drinks because they get real thirsty."

"But what's the Unique Selling Point, Mr Clever Architect?"

"The selling point? Why, we're gonna put a big fucking sphynx right up front, and people are gonna come because they've never seen a fucking sphynx that big, and golly, that's just fantastic, isn't it!"

Sold!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry to burst your bubble, but in the real world, its the other way around. Its the developers who wants the sphinx. The architects in this case (Akitek Prima Sdn Bhd, Principal Architect - Mr. Ray Cheah. Client = Sunway Properties, whose Director HAPPENS to be his brother-in-law) just visualize what the clients want.

Projects where client/developers take up front the architect's vision instead are very very rare. That's what they dont teach you in Architecture school.

Learn architecture, graduate and be prepared to SELL YOUR SOUL later. Good Luck.

K@MO said...

Thanks for alleviating my ignorance! On a lighter note, I'm never going to let my brother-in-law design anything for me.

If I ever have one, that is.