Thursday, October 28, 2004

Nice Ads!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The most curious fad in Singapore, as I noticed when I was there last month, isn't on the streets or in shopping malls; it's on cigarette boxes.

Buy a pack of Marlboros and the first thing you see is a huge picture of a pair of rotten, gore-splattered lungs. Or someone's rancid, mingin' blood-soaked gums. Or a bunch of nameless extremities strung out across a platter like frog's legs .

The worst one is a picture of a premature baby in an incubator. That one gets me every time. It's downright heinous to show people pictures like that. Obscene. Vulgar. Disgusting.

No, that wouldn't be my approach if I was going to convince people to stop smoking. I wouldn't try to scare the crap out of you that way.

I'd just slap a picture of David Hasselhoff on all of the cigarette boxes with the caption:

"WARNING: SMOKING IS GAY"

That should do it. End of problem.

5 comments:

Eevon Chung said...

My my...look who's bitchier and more cynical than me. But really...would you stop smoking even if David Hasselhoff's naked picture is on the pack? I highly doubt it...don't kid yourself...hahahah!

Anonymous said...

ayu: lol. that cracked me out. but apparently sporean government managed to reduce smoking among the population rather significantly by using that approach. if i were the Msian pm, I'd do the same thing. Haha...and the David Hasselhoff idea too of course.

Anonymous said...

i see fatherly instinct in you, pian. ha ha...but i think that is a good approach. i heard sporean smoke significantly less now kan? if i were msian PM, i'd do what spore is doing. Oh...and the david hasselhoff idea as well... ;)

Anonymous said...

ayu: that was my comment btw. hope it appears this time. blogspot sucks!!!

Anonymous said...

ayu: migawd...i seemed so enthusiastic with 2 comments here containing the same meanings. bodoh lah blogspot. org tulis semalam baru hari ni nak klua. gawd...ps: pian, do u have msn?